Search This Blog

Monday, October 22, 2018

Buffalo Line: Gone But Not Forgotten

As of a year ago, the former PRR Buffalo Line, running between Harrisburg and Buffalo, was a real oasis of vintage PRR signaling with position lights and 1950's vintage CTC infrastructure.  Even the portions of the line where the signaling had been suspended, still retained a lot of the old hardware in situ.  Unfortunately, over the last year the line has been completely re-signaled or de-signaled as the case may be.  The good news is that over the years I went on several signaling expeditions to document what infrastructure I could.  Because these photos are split between a number of galleries shot between 2006 and 2018 it might be a bit of a challenge to find them so I decided to make a little guide in honor of the Buffalo Line.  Note, I plan to have my old web hosting restored later this year, but I will provide links to my Google hosted albums as those will hopefully be more reliable over the long run.

Beginning at CP-WYE, I first took some photos there on my 2006 PRR E8 excursion chase.


Then again in 2014 chasing an Amtrak Fall Foliage excursion. 


And finally in 2015 where I was looking to capture the signals I missed in my 2014 trip. 


I caught the intermediate at MP 304 as part of a 2007 trip to Harrisburg.


The MP 299 Automatic was also captured in the 2014 excursion chase.


I only got a few shots of CP-SOUTH FERRY in 2006 before the position lights were replaced rather early.


CP-NORTH FERRY was documented in the usual manner during my 2015 trip.


The next location I documented was CP-SOUTH MILLER, which was split between my 2014 trip and my 2017 trip.




While I got a few photos of CP-NORTH MILLER in 2006, I performed the full documentation in 2014.


From here northward the photos are from my big 2017 Southern Buffalo Line survey.  First up was the MP 278 automatic, which was replaced in the early 2000's.


The MP 273 automatic was a rare surviving split position light.  Possibly the only one on this part of the line. 



CP-SOUTH BOYLES


CP-NORTH BOYLES 



CP-SF





CP-HORN


And CP-KASE.


CP-NORRY is another location I got some photos during my 2006 trip when the pneumatics were still there, but I got the proper set of pics in 2017.


I have another batch of unprocessed photos from early 2018 of signaling between Williamsport and Lock Haven, but I'll either update the page or make a new post about that as I want to make sure these photos are available for reference.

No comments:

Post a Comment